+44 (0)118 989 3771
Make your information work for you
with Electronic Document Management Software
CUSTOMISATION OF DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Whilst File Stream Document Management software has a very comprehensive specification as standard, the possibilities don't end with the standard system features. Over the past few years, our skilled development team has produced numerous customisations and integrations with other suites of software. File Stream Document Management software has API (Application Programming Interface) tools for both its standard and Web versions. Use of our API's, gives huge versatility when it comes to integrating with your existing software products. It could be an inexpensive solution such as a simple button in the third party software which links to File Stream to display the required image / document. Alternatively,a more detailed solution may be sought, perhaps involving an approval action in the File Stream Document Management workflow which automatically updates the status of a purchase invoice in your accounting package.
File Stream Document Management uses standard Microsoft methodologies including .NET framework and a SQL database. This makes integration with other Microsoft products very straightforward. We are happy to arrange a scoping meeting to discuss your requirements. Our developers can quote for any work required if you do not have the skills in-house to carry out the integration yourselves.
Here you can find out more about the File Stream Document Management API tool for customisation.
Read about some recent examples of our document management customisations below.
DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE CUSTOMISATION PRESS RELEASES
SUPPLIER INVOICE APPROVAL CUSTOMISATION
Berkshire-based Filestream Ltd has carried out another client customisation, further enhancing the use of its Document Management Software. Special amendments were requested by a government-sponsored national charity, working to provide a variety of skills training for the business sector. It wanted a document management system that would handle its supplier invoices with the absolute minimum intervention. File Stream was given the task of filing and indexing the documents with as few key strokes as possible. The invoices are then to be automatically Emailed externally for approval as part of the File Stream Workflow and Server Scheduler modules. Specific customisation was written to ensure that the return emails, which confirmed approval or rejection of the invoices, were captured by File Stream automatically, allowing them to continue their progress through the workflow accordingly. At the same time, it was necessary that the accounts package was aware of the current status of each invoice. This customer uses Iris Exchequer as their accounts package, but there is no reason why a similar adaptation could not be written for other packages.
Please follow the link to find out more about customisation of its document management software by Filestream Ltd.
FILE STREAM DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE INTEGRATION WITH GREAT PLAINS SOFTWARE
For many years now, File Stream has sold many systems which integrate with the Purchase Ledger area of Great Plains Accounting Software. There are two elements to the customisation...
- A purchase invoice is entered onto the Great Plains system and a Barcode is produced with the relevant transaction number. Each barcode sticker is placed on the relevant purchase invoice. The invoices are then bulk scanned into the File Stream Document Management system. File Stream automatically separates the documents into individual files and indexes them to a selected cabinet. File Stream does this by reading the barcode value (GP transaction number): it then interrogates the Great Plains Database and draws down the additional indexing information such as supplier, invoice number, purchase order number etc.
- There is a ‘View Image’ button in Great Plains linking to File Stream which allows the invoice to be displayed, as required, by users working in Great Plains.
Several premiership football clubs are amongst the customers using this customisation.
LOGISTICS CLIENT CUSTOMISATION
Filestream Ltd has completed a major document management software customisation for a leading logistics company. The freight industry has to handle a large volume of paperwork related to each shipment. This can include invoices, packing slips, airway bills, receipts etc. These documents need to be checked for completeness and forwarded to handling agents at the destination so they can deal with local customs authorities and other formalities before they can receive the shipment.
Delays are caused where the paperwork is incomplete, missing or received late - or in some cases not received before the shipment arrives - which can cause additional expenses in storage costs before the shipment can be cleared through customs.
There could be several agents worldwide, each receiving anything from 5 to 50 consignments daily. Each consignment can consist of dozens of paper documents some of which are several pages in length. These need to be checked for completeness (i.e. all required bits of paper are present) and they need to be sent to the correct agent(s).
A set of customised modules to extend the File Stream Document Management System provides an efficient solution to these problems by adding mechanisms for consolidating consignments and making them available securely to authorised agents via the internet.
Paperwork related to a consignment is scanned into the File Stream Document Management System and indexed against consignment and job numbers. The Company maintains its own database of consignments and required documents (jobs) which must be filed. Filestream Ltd added a reporting mechanism to easily enable Company staff to check a consignment for completeness. The report lists all required documents which have not yet been filed in the system. This is achieved by comparing the jobs filed in File Stream Document Management against the list of required jobs in the company's database. Once a consignment is complete the system can send e-mails to the relevant agents directing them to download the documentation. A Web Service and a Web access module were developed to make it easy for agents to securely log-in to the system using a password and obtain the documentation electronically.
AGRICULTURAL CO-OPERATIVE CLIENT CUSTOMISATION
Filestream Ltd has helped a leading agricultural purchasing co-operative create a solution to efficiently send out the thousands of invoices raised on behalf of their members each month. This had until recently been a manual process.
The document management customisation works as follows:
- Documents are scanned and automatically identified and indexed into File Stream using the File Stream Advanced OCR module. The index information includes a MEMBER NUMBER and DOCUMENT NUMBER for each invoice
- The Invoices are also input to their accounts software.
- Each month a consolidated invoice is prepared from the information on their accounts system for each of their members. A PDF version of the consolidated invoice together with a corresponding CSV file, containing detailed information relating to each supplier invoice, is dropped into a folder.
- File Stream Scheduler runs a job which scans this folder for documents. The File Names identify those that link together. The scheduler task now automatically performs a search in File Stream for the DOCUMENT NUMBERS listed in the CSV file and checks the associated MEMBER NUMBER is correct. It reports on any that do not match.
- If everything matches up. File Stream will attach a copy of each individual supplier invoice to the Member’s consolidated invoice document showing proof of purchase.
CUSTOMISATION OF DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE FOR ENGINEERING CLIENT
Filestream Ltd has been asked to provide an efficient purchase invoice management solution. Purchase invoices with a reference number on a barcode will be scanned into File Stream Document Management, then indexed into a cabinet. At that point the Document Management system will read the barcode and the associated CSV file from a specific folder/filename and will match up the reference number from the barcode with additional invoice details from the CSV file. The additional details are date, nominal ledger code, amount, etc which will be indexed into File Stream Document Management.