File Stream Document Management (“FS”) Features & Specification
- Import E-mails into FS directly from the application, send to In-Tray or other users, index directly to a cabinet.
- Automatically file emails when sending
- Choose file type for emails imported from Outlook
- Option to automatically delete emails from Outlook after importing them
- Option to send all or individual email attachments grouped as part of the e-mail or as separate documents to FS.
- Digitally signed messages can be imported from Outlook.
- Outlook email Header Information such as From, To, Subject, Date Sent, and Date Received is searchable from within FS in addition to values obtained from standard Indexing methods
- Option within FS to Import all emails in an outlook FS folder.
Administration - set up RBAC Users, Teams, Roles and Cabinets Permissions etc.
For additional information on RBAC Administration setup, please click here.
RBAC Set Up
- Create / delete / edit users & passwords, setup Route box path (folder location) where required and set required Polling interval.
- User permissions set as Role Permissions (append, delete, annotate, send to, index, re-index, image movement, etc). Users can view their list of permissions
- User signatures assigned by Administrator.
- View all user sessions automatically. Kill, Lockout or Unlock users or sessions
- Password functions, change passwords
- Active Directory policies
- Create / Delete / Edit
- Add users
CREATE/ EDIT ROLES
- Add Users and or Teams to Roles
- Confirm Role Type - Standard or ADMIN and set further permissions as to which Roles or Cabinets can be managed by an ADMIN role
- Set Functionality permissions
- Set In-Tray permissions
- Set individulal Cabinet Permissions
- Set User / Role rules at Field / Field Content level for Searching and Indexing
- Create / Delete / Edit
- Create fields - names - types (including Parent / Child relationships and multiselect) and additional options
- Change field types and access all values already indexed to individual fields
- Assign cabinets access to Roles
- Copy Cabinets to simplify the creation of identical or similar cabinets
- Define OCR Policies such as accuracy level and defined area
- Option to make all filed documents "Current"
- Option to advise other users when documents enter a cabinet
- Set up rules to automatically assign documents to a workflow
- Automatically Export document index values to CSV or XML output
- Add custom scripts
- Import / Export cabinet definition files allowing users to transfer cabinets between systems
- Import ready made Sample Cabinets
- Protect Cabinets from deletion
- Set up common fields
- Set up Filters and assign associated index fields to them
- AUTO NUMBERING SCHEMES
- Set up document classifications such as High Importance / Personal
- Such as Document numbers and locations, Duplicate Index values and Overdue Workflow items
SET SYSTEM OPTIONS
- Including create revision when annotations are added / set strict data format / locked document policies / password required for approvals
- Start automatic system backups
- Create new databases
- Extend database range
- Change root folder
- Rebuild indexes
VIEW AND PURGE DELETE LOG:
- Administrators can see lists of deleted documents and purge the list automatically or when required
ADMINISTRATIVE AUDIT TRAIL
- of actions e.g creating / deleting / editing cabinets, users, groups etc.
- MANAGE DOCUMENT TEMPLATES
- MANAGE SYSTEM DIARY
- MANAGE CHECK-INS / CHECK-OUTS
- Annotate Documents with text, highlighter, signature, stamps, freehand etc. The annotations can be visible, hidden or permanently “burned in”. Icon depicts an annotated document in all views.
- Create and store barcodes.
- Create stamps / Import Images.
- Create / edit / delete / copy annotation tools.
Append options (image documents only)
A Document may be attached to an existing document. Inserted at the start /end / or at a selected page of the Target Document. This function can be carried out:
- At the scanning stage
- As a file import from the network to a document in the File Stream Document Management system.
- Via cabinets attaching to files already in the system.
- One document can be repeatedly appended to many other documents
- Documents can have files attached to them. Imported e-mail automatically uses this feature.
- Attach external documents and / or other system documents
- Attached files can be removed, opened, launched, saved out, Emailed ,detached into the inbox, & OCR’d
- Inbuilt system backup
- Feature ensuring regularly views documents are always available.
Check-in / Check-out
Facility to temporarily check documents out of the system to work on them in another location. Users will be reminded to check documents back in. Other users will continue to be able to view the document image pre-checkout. Only one user can check a document out at a time.
- Copy documents from Search Results and paste to an on-going Email Trail
- Copy documents from insideor outside the system and Paste as attachments to documents in File Stream
Convert to Image
- Allows non image docs such as Word or Excel to be converted to an uneditable image document such as .tif or.pdf
- Ability to incorporate customer specific requirements which are only available to the customer.
- Off-the-shelf customisation for automatically exporting data to CSV file when indexing.
- Off-the-shelf customisation for looking up index values in any external database.
- Support for SQL 2005 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016 SQL Express.
- New databases can be created from within File Stream Document Management on any of the above.
- Support for multiple databases.
- Rebuild SQL indexes and set file growth from File Stream
- Available in system tray with quick access to File Stream Search / Indexing / My Tasks when working in another program
- Documents or pages of documents can be deleted permanently or to a Deleted Folder at various stages within File Stream Document Management if authorised by the Administrator.
Diary (also Web Module)
- Document(s) can be linked to future diary events for individual or multiple users
- Events can be for Public or Private viewing
- Diary events (for all users) visible when viewing a document
- Access is available to all user diaries
- Reminder alerts with direct links to named documents
- Entry ‘created by’ Indication
- Create your own event types
Document Creation Editing & Conversion
- Create documents from within any File Stream intray or cabinet using installed applications.
- Blank and customised templates.
- Launch existing documents for editing with full audit trail.
- Convert non-image documents to image files
- Document operations that fail are highlighted with an error flag and details of failure are shown.
- All system information relating to a document can be found here, sorted by the following tabs – Standard Values – Index Values – Attachments – Notes – History – OCR Text
- Filenames and the document subject can be changed with the option to move automatically to the next document
- Documents can be Launched for editing
- Public and Private notes can be linked to a document, automatically identifying the author and date. Private notes are only visible to their creator.
- A document with a note is identified by a ‘Notes’ icon in all views
- Fonts and Colour can be changed, subject detailed
- Edited / deleted notes shown in document history.
- Notes e-mailed as an attachment if selected
- Documents are automatically flagged as 'Un-Read' until viewed in ‘Image view'
- Documents can be flagged with different coloured numbered searchable flags or a check box.
Export to C.S.V.
- Document properties & index values (including images) can be exported to CSV or XML format for import to other applications.
Document Import / Export
- Full and incremental export from selected cabinets or search results
- Options to allow disk spanning, include revision histories and delete exported documents
- Import documents into existing or new cabinets, with option to overwrite or copy existing files.
Document Level Permissions
- Permissions can be set at document level for viewing by individual users
File Stream Document Management can capture computer files in several ways:
- Using the file import option within File Stream Document Management
- Import documents by drag and drop from Explorer
- Using the ‘Create New Document’ feature
- From any other program with a ‘save to file’ option by routing the files to a user’s File Stream Intray via their routebox
- By using the File Stream 'Save to Clipboard' feature.
Image manipulation (image documents only)
- Rotate / Deskew / Despeckle / Auto-Correct / Invert / Zoom / Remove Lines / Dilate / Erode / Flip & Mirror.
- Crop Documents
- Fit to Height / Width / Full size / Whole PC views.
- Index documents or selected pages to a custom cabinet
- Index field types such as Date, Time, List, Number, Currency, etc
- Index field properties include mandatory, default values, & allow overwrite
- Cabinets available by group membership
- Re-index if administrator permissions are granted
- Retain temporarily fixed values while indexing
- Editable drop-down lists for frequently used index values
- Incremental indexing e.g. 001 002 003
- Multiple indexing
- Barcode and OCR region auto-indexing
- Documents can be AutoOCR’d when indexing if this option is specified for the selected cabinet.
- The same document can be indexed to more than one cabinet if required
- Set up Policies to filter the Cabinet Fields displayed when indexing different types of documents
- Policies also to filter the fields to only show those required by different departments.
Large Document Volumes
- The software is structured in such a way that new databases can automatically be created annually. One or twelve tables can be selected annually allowing search results to be displayed per year or per month. Therefore large volumes of documents are handled easily and system search speeds etc are kept lively. Users can set their own default range.
- Flexible, user-maintained Licences which can be purchased in a variety of ways to suit different installations. Concurrent or fixed number licenses can be supplied.
- Ability to move licences between workstations without making a support call.
- Individual Licensing for barcode and OCR
- Simple method for purchasing licence upgrades and installing upgraded licences.
- Link existing documents in File Stream to each other.
- Link new Office documents or standard Templated documents to existing File Stream documents.
- Import external files to a link.
- Automatically index new Link Documents by same Index Values as main document if required.
Logging On and Off
- Log off File Stream Document Management and log back on without closing the application.
- Run multiple File Stream applications on the same PC – to work in different databases at the same time.
- Supports Roaming Profiles in a Citrix environment
- Databases can be managed and made available to users automatically
- Ability to create a basic mail merge by using a combination of the in-built .xml contact sheet and indexed values. Copies of correspondence sent will be saved and indexed if required.
- Image documents containing text, imported into the system, can be OCR’d (saved to the database by the text content). Documents can then be searched for by word content.
- Office documents such as Word and Excel files can be OCR’d and searched by word content.
- Document attachments can be OCR’d (optionally)
- Image documents within File Stream Document Management can be OCR’d to file and saved to any network pathway. The exported file can be edited. (NB the original file remains unedited.)
- OCR-to-File formats include TXT .PDF .DOC .RTF and .htmlL.
Print, fax and e-mail
- Documents or selected pages from documents within the system can be printed, faxed or e-mailed provided the necessary software is present.
- Specify margins, and option for printing page numbers at bottom of image type files inc TIFF and PDF.
- Written in Microsoft VB.Net / .NET Framework 4 for maximum compatibility with modern operating systems.
Regional Barcoding / OCR and Follow Fields
- Sections on any page can be assigned to capture as OCR or barcode fields.
- “Follow fields” functionality shows relevant section of document enlarged for each field when indexing.
- "Quick Find OCR" allows users to draw round the required index field content on the document
- Automatic document revisions are created when physical changes are made to the structure of a document such as burning in annotations or appending additional pages to image type files, or changes made to Microsoft Office type documents when they are altered by editing.
- Full Audit history of actions performed on documents, and by whom, such as when documents have been scanned, e-mailed, annotated, indexed, edited, etc.
- Documents (or pages of image type files) from within File Stream Document Management can be saved to any volume on the network.
- File format can be changed from or to BMP, JPEG, PCX, DCX, PDF, TIFF types etc. The saved document is a copy of the document in the File Stream Document Management system.
- TWAIN drivers supported.
Scanning paper documents
- Uses File Stream Document Management interface
- Scanners: directly connected or network devices (some features only available with directly connected scanners). Network Devices scan to a route folder for auto collection by File Stream
- Access to all functions of chosen scanner (native Interface)
- Scan directly to other user intrays or a users own in-tray folder
- Can be used just as a scanning tool to save documents elsewhere
SIMPLE Scan (TWAIN ONLY)
- Select multi-page / single page
- Choose filename
- Save as most image types inc. JPEG, TIFF (various), PDF,
- Scan more (auto append).
Advanced Scan Panel (TWAIN)
- Scan profiles can be set up for different types of scanning jobs. Options offered (in addition to simple scan) include:
- Take specified number of pages from ADF allowing document grouping.
- Numbered pages
- Document orientation choices
- Drop blank pages or pages smaller than ...KB
- Auto Correct (module required)
- Separate by Blank Sheet Barcode and / or OCR values (modules required)
- Separate by looking for a BLACK DOT on a predefined area on the documents.
- Automatic OCR documents: assign document recognition: (module req.)
- Auto Imprint numbers from selected number groups
- Choose filename inc. option to stamp an auto date, time or specified numeric patters
- Set SCAN PAGE counter
- Profile summary
- Import / Export profiles easily between work stations
- Multiple scanners can scan into one shared intray.
Search - Powerful & Versatile Capability
- Index values (or any part of) across selected cabinets or all cabinets inc. greater than, less than, Not equal to, starts with, ends with, a range of, and contains values
- Search OCR text in document and its attachments, including ALL words, ANY words, Whole words, and Exact Phrase.
- Search by system flags, Email header info, actioned by, workflow status, file name or any part of
- Further Filter by a selected date range (system entered or last modified).
- Save searches for future use.
- Option to Automatically open results or show all index fields for multiple cabinet searches
- All documents in a cabinet plus pre-defined or customised filters
- Pre-defined, including all checked-out and locked documents. All items overdue or in a workflow.
- All deleted documents
- Quickly locate a word or phrase in any OCR’d document and all its attachments
- View the relevant document or attachment image and move through each occurrence of the selected word / phrase.
- Allows documents to be sent within File Stream Document Management from one user to another. Indexed documents will be sent as copies.
- Standard and customised reports available
- Thumbnails cached on local system for quicker access.
- Thumbnails automatically created/re-created when required.
Total current documents / pages
- Shows the total number of documents in an Inbox/cabinet, and pages of selected documents.
User Interface & Viewing options
- Easy to use, intuitive screens.
- Customisable and pre-definable Quick Access Toolbar.
- View documents as list files, thumbnails (variable size) or images.
- Work with Multiple Tabs for more versatile use.
- Thumbnail views: multi-page files are initially displayed as one thumbnail detailing the total number of pages.
- User Editable lists: versatile Listview with user-configurable columns, multiple sorting, split image and split single page view. In list view throughout the system, documents can be viewed in any sort order.
- Move order of columns, hide/reveal columns, retains column widths.
- Specify up to 3 sort orders on columns.
- Over 300 file formats can be viewed as thumbnails or images: PDF • raster • vector • autodesk/hybrid • AutoCAD/colour • TIFF • PCX • GIF • JPEG • Sun raster • PNG • Photoshop • Office • Word • Acrobat / PDF •HTML • ASCII • PowerPoint • Excel etc, etc.
- Option to view PDF documents using built-in viewer or Adobe Acrobat viewer.
- Documents of different file types can be grouped together as attached documents.
- Split single page view: selected pages of Image documents, viewed as thumbnails of a multi-page document, can be deleted, repositioned or appended to other pages, creating new documents of varying size ready for indexing.
- Full screen image view with continued page / file selection.
- Split image allows list or thumb view plus resizeable image view.
- Visual indication of document status in all views.
- Customisable list view columns for each cabinet and each user’s own inbox.
- Progress indication of time-consuming operations with Cancel button where applicable.
- internal messaging system for File Stream Document Management users, incorporating a history of messages sent and received.
- Messages can be sent with a link to a document search. The recipient can access these same documents upon receipt of the message by opening the link.
- Reply to or forward messages received
- Provides external access to File Stream Document Management data over the Internet, or via an internal intranet
- Upload new files and search for existing files from any PC with internet access, even without File Stream Document Management installed on that PC.
- See our Document Management Advanced Uses page which gives more information about File Stream Document Management’s impressive Web Edition functionality.
- Enables documents to be routed to specific users in predefined order for specific tasks to be performed (e.g. invoice approval)
- Documents can be automatically assigned to a Workflow when indexed or when a new document is created by File Stream.
- Set up unlimited Workflow Processes
- Route documents to individual / multiple or selected users
- Set time scales before alerting users.
- Set time limits to tasks
- Assign a ‘Workflow Manager’ who will be notified when items are overdue allowing appropriate action to be taken
- All system tools available for use in ‘Workflow’
- Each document displays the stage reached including the ‘assigned user’
- Full Workflow History available to selected users
- Workflows with unfinished tasks cannot be deleted
- Workflow Manager can cancel tasks
- Enables the creation of unlimited advanced OCR profiles as well as providing automatic document recognition. This includes automatic filing to a selected Cabinet
- Comprehensive Correction Tool for OCR
Searchable CD / DVD (Portable Media) Module
- Export selected documents to external media which will include full search functionality
- Includes one barcode licence
- Automatically indexes by barcode contents.
- 11 barcode types supported plus variations.
- Barcodes can be created and "burned" into documents.
- Created barcodes are stored in the database for re-use.
- See separate document on EDMS working with Barcodes and OCR page giving more information about File Stream Document Management's comprehensive barcode functionality.
Email Notification Module
- Sends all File Stream system messages as email notifications to users when they are not logged into File Stream.
Server OCR Module
- Groups OCR tasks to be performed by the server at scheduled times
Generic CSV Module
- Enables documents and index details to be imported into File Stream
Backup Scheduling Module
- Performs scheduled File Stream backups.
CSV/XML Import Module
- Enables CSV or XML data to be imported & filed into File Stream whilst creating an image (includes 2 days customisation)
File Stream API
- Unlimited license to develop your own code to access File Stream data
File Stream Web Service API
- Unlimited license to use the Web Service to develop your own web based code to access File Stream data via the web server
Document Retention Module
- Set dates for automatic destruction of documents
Search and View Tool for Mobile Devices