File Stream Document Management System - Standard Features
Investing in a document management system today offers much more than it did only a few years ago. Then it was purely seen as an archiving tool - that is literally an electronic filing cabinet replacing the standard paper filing methods.
Today, many electronic document management systems offer much more than this. It is important when deciding which software to invest in that you keep an eye on how versatile it will be as your business grows.
File Stream Document Management Software’s adaptability will surprise you when used to enhance and work alongside existing office procedures. Indeed many customers find it can replace current, outdated (often expensive) software. Others use it as a basic contact management or support call logging system.
As well as offering users many flexible indexing options (manual tagging / OCR), a sophisticated Scanning interface and powerful retrieval capabilities for all documents (paper and existing electronic files) a standard File Stream Document Management system offers users ::
- Very straight forward interface as users only see the tools they have permision to use
- Create new Microsoft Office documents. These can be blank documents or your company's customised standard templated documents. These documents are automatically captured by the document management system ready for filing. User access to these template folders is set by the system administrator.
- Check documents out to work on them at home and put them back later. In the meantime, other users will only be able to view the last version saved.
- Set up xml contact sheets to create simple mail merges in association with indexed values.
- Search for existing documents, launch them to edit the content and then save the changes, they will automatically update in File Stream Document Management system. A full audit trail and revision history is kept. It is also possible to replace an existing document with an external one. Maybe a signed contract.
- Set searchable coloured FLAGS against documents, maybe to identify supplier invoices that have queries or need management approval.
- Send messages to other users with links to documents in the Document Management system (avoids the endless copies created when queries are emailed).
- Use File Stream Document Management system’s own inbuilt diary linking documents to automatic reminders for selected users.
- Annotate documents with customised stamps which automatically include the date and user's name, eg "Approved by" or "True and Certified copy".
- Add "NOTES" to documents using our in-built system, detailing date, time and originator. These can be viewed & added to by all users. Very useful for employees to put their comments against cases / projects they are working on. Private notes, seen by originator only, also possible.
- Email documents and any attachments from the File Stream Document Management System, From OUTLOOK , file incoming and outgoing emails, including attachments, into the File Stream Document Management system.
- Attach documents of different file types creating a group of related documents. Often used in the Insurance or construction industries to attach photographs to associated claims forms or site plans.
- Link documents to each other. Many customers use this when setting up and keeping track of their Company Complaints process, or linking Purchase Orders and Delivery Notes to a supplier's invoice.
- Set Bookmarks so that regularly used documents are always to hand.