Trends in Document Management
Essentially, Document Management is intelligent electronic filing, typically for documents such as supplier invoices, delivery notes, HR files etc.By using an electronic document management system (EDMS) businesses are able to improve their administrative performance, improve corporate and departmental communication and improve security. In many cases the simplification and automation of business processes improves client and supplier service levels and provides ROI extremely quickly, particularly where multi-sites and approvals processing are issues. With the most recent trends outlined below, from the requirements of GDPR to problem solving and trend towards mobile and touch screen functionality, there is always something going on in the world of electronic document management research and development.
- The most recent trend we are seeing is with regards to GDPR and the new General Data Protection Regulation that are forcing companies and organisations to increase security and control over their documentation and information. This in turn affects the functionality of document management programmes. In particular, the functionality of our systems which satisfy and compliment GDPR requirements include:
- Encryption. All information within a document management system should be fully encrypted and password protected. Our latest software versions have the AES encryption logarithm with a 256 bit key.
- Document Retention. Documents relating to individuals have specific times attached to them determining how long they must be retained and after how long they must be destroyed. Our software not only has the ability to set automatic retention dates at cabinet level, but also at field level, meaning that selected documents can be deleted at a different date other related information.
- Emails must be securely transmitted and received. Our Enterprise system has integrated with DocuSign secure messaging to ensure that information is secure from the moment it enters the system, is securely distributed out of the system to be signed and to the moment it returns back to our software for onward processing and archiving.
- Generic email addresses such as “sales@ ….” are required in many instances as personal email addresses are not GDPR compliant they identify the individual. We have developed a procedure where generic email addresses can be monitored and automatically indexed into the system where onward processing can take place
- RBAC (role-based access control) is an increasingly demanded functionality that manages access to information by the assignment of Roles to employees, Roles are similar in concept to Teams. RBAC is essential to the implementation of a GDPR policy as it precisely defines what documents or parts of documents can be accessed and by who and what actions can be taken on them. Our software’s RBAC also allows for as many administrative levels as required, for example an HR or Sales department may benefit from several layers of administration from the most junior employee to the most senior.
Our SQL database is also being continually developed to manage tens of millions of documents with quick retrieval times.
Collaboration and Problem Solving
There is also a growing demand for a Document Management system to do more than just archive and retrieve documents, in particular, to enable workers and guests to collaborate more effectively. The clear advantage a top Document Management system has over conventional collaboration and problem solving software is that with RBAC it starts with full control of document access and security. Combine this with features such as Messaging, Diary, Notes and Teams and very soon a problem can be solved or a development progressed cooperatively, in a fraction of the time that the conventional use of a phone or e-mails would necessitate.
Smaller businesses and organisations have not been catered for
We are also seeing that there is an increasing trend for smaller businesses to “get by” without Document Management even if they can ill afford the inefficiency and lack of productivity. This is an on-going trend even though there is a very compelling case for the use of Document Management in the SME sector. Particularly valuable and all supplied with our OfficioDM Pro software are:
- Encrypted, password protected and backed up documentation
- Disaster recovery
- GDPR compliance
- Easy index and quick search
- Mobile apps
There has nevertheless been a reluctance for the smaller business to deploy a Document Management system, the main obstacles being the perceived difficulty in installing and learning new software and the costs involved. To address this Filestream have bought out an entry level Document Management product called OfficioDM Pro, which is an inexpensive and easy for anybody to use and is also fully upgradeable if the need arises. OfficioDM pro is a manual system but still capable of doing the same essential job as the full enterprise version of File Stream with encryption, secure areas and over a million document capacity.
With the introduction of this product, as a business we can now offer document management systems to any business from a sole entrepreneur to multi-national businesses, with scalable, flexible and offer clear up-grade paths to meet the needs of our clients.
Apps, Touch Screen and Windows 10
There is another strong trend which we are seeing toward mobile and touch screen functionality. To this end OfficioDM Pro has FREE Microsoft, iOS and Android apps that can be downloaded. Documents can be searched for as well as indexed. Basic administrative functionality is also available with the apps.There is an increasing demand for touch screen functionality and Windows 10 compatibility also, both included our products.
To find out more about the latest trends in EDMS systems and how they might be able to add value to your organisation get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.
Need more information? Speak to one of our experts.